Saturday, April 11, 2009

Quinoa Breakfast

Quinoa is one of my new favorite foods. Like a rice, but with a slightly crunchy texture and almost nutty taste, plus it has a ton of protein. It works great as a rice/potato substitute with dinner. However, as a grain, it can also be used for a breakfast food. If you haven't tried it, I encourage you to do so!

This morning I tried a breakfast variation, stolen from my new favorite food blog, 101 Cookbooks. Check this website for a variety of vegetarian-inspired (although not all are meatless), often organic recipes.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup quinoa (rinsed!)
  • 2 cups fruit/berries (I used some chopped, fresh blackberries)
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (next time I'll use a little more for more flavor)
  • 1/3 c toasted nuts (optional)
  • sugar/honey/nectar to taste (I stuck w/ sugar, as I didn't want the honey w/ the nuts, and I'm allergic to nectars.)
Preparation
Combine milk, water and quinoa in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to medium-low; cover and simmer 15 minutes (or until most of the liquid is absorbed). Turn off heat and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in fruit and cinnamon. Transfer to bowls and top with nuts. Add sweetener to taste.

Serves 4.

1 comment:

  1. Do you know how long I have waited for a good Quinoa recipe??!?!?

    Yay!

    ReplyDelete