Sunday, June 7, 2009

Turkey Carbonara Burgers

I watch Rachael Ray. I don't love her, but I like her. She's dubbed herself the "Burger Queen." I realized all of her burgers are a distinct meal thrown into meat to make a burger.

So I started doing it myself.

Spaghetti carbonara is awesome, spaghetti (whatever kind you like) tossed with crisp prosciutto, Parmesan and topped with an egg that is mixed in to make a thick, creamy sauce.

I made it into a burger, and it's awesome. Though I haven't quite figured out how to incorporate the egg, so I left it out. Though if you want, you can fry an egg over easy, place it on top of the burger then place the bun on top. The yolk will break and ooze all into the bun. Delish, as Rach would say.

If you don't have prosciutto, you can use bacon, or your favorite ham that will fry up crispy. I buy a little package of pre-diced prosciutto, because it's usually on special at the store.

Ingredients

20 ounces ground turkey (the prosciutto will make the burgers moist, so you can get away with a leaner turkey)
2 ounces prosciutto (bacon or pancetta would work too), cut into small dice
1/2 cup shredded parmesan
2 tbsp olive oil
Good italian bread, or ciabatta rolls

Mix all ingredients in bowl. Form into four patties. Grill over medium-high heat, 6-7 minutes per side, until cooked.

Place on roll, top with over easy egg if desired. Serve with a side of pasta tossed in butter and salt (since it's supposed to be spaghetti carbonara).

1 comment: